Identifying Black Spot Accident Zones Using a Geographical Information System on Kombolcha-Dessie Road in Ethiopia
AbstractThe rate of traffic accidents is growing rapidly in Ethiopia. This paper illustrates the advantages of using a geographical information system (GIS) to identify so-called black spot locations, which would be the initial and most crucial step in the road safety analysis. This study has identified black spot accident locations in the South Wollo Zone, Ethiopia, using the Kombolcha-Dessie road segment, by using ArcGIS software as a hotspot analysis tool. Five years (2012-2016) worth of accident data history on Kombolcha-Dessie road was collected to identify locations with a higher rate of crash occurrences. This entire block of accident data was spatially distributed on the digitized map of the road (including the crash occurrence sites) and the respective weight based on their accident severity was applied. The hotspot analysis result identified five (5) accident hotspot locations. These are; Kombolcha town roundabout-1,
Haile M.F. and Demeke L.W.,
H. Paris and S. Van den Broucke,
World Health Organization,
W. Odero, A. Garner, P., and A. Zwi,
A. Downing, A., Jacobs, G., Thomas, A., Sharples, J., Silcock, D., Lottum, C., Walker, R., Ross,
[UNECA] United Nations. Economic Commission for Africa,
Central Statics Agency,
A. General Directorate of Highways,
S. K. Ghosh and J. K. Uraon,
R. C. Smith, D. L. Harkey, and B. Harris,
L. T. H. and D. M. M. Lim Yu Liang,
S. U. S. Reshma E.K,
M. Nagarajan and C. Mathew,
T. Steenberghen, T. Dufays, I. Thomas, and B. Flahaut,
S. Erdogan, I. Yilmaz, T. Baybura, and M. Gullu,
U. Budiharto and A. P. Saido,
A. Tortum and A. Atalay,
G. Yalcin and H. S. Duzgun,
L. Truong and S. Somenahalli,
B. W. Silverman,
J. Choudharya, A. Ohri, and B. Kumar,
Copyright (c) 2019 International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.