Adsorption Mechanism of 4-(4,5-diphenyl-1H-imidazole)-N,N-dimethylbenzenamine as a Corrosion Inhibitor Towards Carbon Steel in 1% NaCl Solution
AbstractCorrosion inhibitor is one of the materials widely known to effectively minimize damages caused by corrosion. Design and development of corrosion inhibitor have been intensively studied. Understanding the mechanisms responsible in corrosion inhibition is demanded in developing techniques to prevent corrosion. This study employed an imidazole derivate compound, 4-(4,5-diphenyl-1H-imidazole)-N,N-dimethylbenzenamine, as a corrosion inhibitor on carbon steel in a corrosive environment of 1% NaCl at 25 oC. Analysis of the mechanisms underlying the adsorption of the organic inhibitor on metal surface was performed by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy method. The adsorption mechanisms were analyzed by Langmuir and Temkin adsorption isotherm models. The fitting results showed that the linear regression obtained from Langmuir and Temkin adsorption isotherm were 0.9738 and 0.8694, respectively. The adsorption free energy was -34.04 kJ/mol, indicated that Langmuir adsorption isotherm was applied in the adsorption mechanism and that the inhibitor was adsorbed semi-physically or semi-chemically on the metal surface.
. I. Ilim, S. Bahri, W. Simanjuntak, Y. M. Syah, B. Bundjali, and B. Buchori. (2017). “Performance of oligomer 4-vinylpiperidine as a carbon dioxide corrosion inhibitor of mild steel.” Journal of Materials and Environmental Sciences. 8(07), pp. 2381-2390.
. T. Hong and W. P. Jepson. (2001). “Corrosion Inhibitor Studies in Large Flow Loop at High Temperature and High Pressure.” Corrosion Science. 43(10), pp. 1839-1849.
. M. S. Morad and A. M. K. El-Dean. (2006). “2,2'-Dithiois(3-cyano-4,6-dimethylpyridine): A New Class of Acid Corrosion Inhibitors for Mild Steel.” Corrosion Science. 48(11), pp. 3398-3412.
. D. Wahyuningrum, S. Achmad, Y.M. Syah, and B. Buchari. (2008). “The synthesis of imidazoline derivative compounds as corrosion inhibitor towards carbon steel in 1% NaCl solution.” ITB journal of Science. 40(1), pp. 33-48.
. N. Ketis, D. Wahyuningrum, S. Achmad, and B. Bundjali. (2010). “Efektivitas Asam Glutamat sebagai Inhibitor Korosi pada Baja Karbon dalam Larutan NaCl 1%.” Jurnal Matematika dan Sains, 5(1). pp. 1-8.
. S. N. Raicheva, B. Aleksiev, and E. I. Sokolova. (1992). “The Effect of The Chemical Structure of Some Nitrogen- and Sulphur-Containing Organic Compounds on Their Corrosion Inhibiting Action.” Corrosion Science. 34(2), pp. 343-350.
. Edwards, C. Osborn, D.K. Webster, J.P. Ostovar, and M. Doyle. (1994). “Mechanistic Studies of The Corrosion Inhibitor Oleic Imidazoline.” Corrosion Science. 36(2), pp. 315-325.
. G.K. Gomma. (1998). “Effect of Azole Compounds on Corrosion of Copper in Acid Medium,” Materials Chemistry and Physics. 56(1), pp. 27-34.
. F. Bentiss, M. Lebrini, H. Vezin, and M. Lagrenee. (2004). “Experimental and Theoretical Study of 3-pyridyl-substituted 1,2,4-thiadiazole and 1,3,4-thiadiazole as Corrosion Inhibitors of Mild Steel in Acidic Media.” Materials Chemistry and Physics. 87(1), pp. 18-23.
. M. Zunita, D. Wahyuningrum, B. Buchari, and B. Bundjali. (2012). “Investigation of corrosion inhibition activity of 3-butyl-2,4,5-triphenylimidazole and 3-butyl-2-(2-butoxyphenyl)-4,5-diphenylimidazole toward carbon steel in 1% NaCl solution.” Int. J. Electrochem Sci. 7, pp. 3274-3288.
. S. Goldberg and G.E. Brown. Chemical Process in Soil. Madison, Wisconsin: Soil Science Society of America, 2005, pp. 492–495.
. M. Z. A. Rafiquee, N. Saxena, S. Khan, and M. A. Quraishi. (2008). “Influence of Surfactants on The Corrosion Inhibition Behavior of 2-aminophenyl-5-mercapto-1-oxa-3,4-diazole (AMOD) on Mild Steel.” Materials Chemistry and Physics. 107(2-3), pp. 528- 533.
. S. Asatyas and D. Wahyuningrum. (2020). “Microwave assisted organic synthesis of 4-(4,5-diphenyl-1H-imidazole)-N,N-dimethylbenzenamine as a corrosion inhibitor on carbon steel”. Jurnal Kimia Sains dan Aplikasi. submitted.
Copyright (c) 2020 International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.