Comparative Effectiveness of 0.25% Turmeric Extract Cream and Grated Turmeric on Skin Elasticity Turmeric (Analysis of Curcuma Longa Concentration in Topical Preparations)
AbstractTurmeric as an antioxidant has been emerging studied for its many uses, especially for the health aspect, especially in counteracting free radicals. This study aims to determine the effectiveness of 0.25% turmeric extract cream and grated yellow turmeric (Curcuma longa) in improving skin elasticity after skin application for 21 days. The experiment was conducted in a Hasanuddin University Hospital in Makassar from March 2017- April 2017. Prospective cohort method was preferred in an observational analytic study. The subjects are women aged 30-50 years old who visited the dermatovenereology outpatient department of Hasanuddin University Hospital. A total of 13 subjects are given 0.25% turmeric extract cream, grated yellow turmeric, and vitamin C creams for the control group. All the cream was applied once a day on the right arm above the appropriate marker that has been given. The same method was applied twice daily in the upper left arm. On day 8 and day 21 skin analyzer was used to measure the skin elasticity following cream application. The results showed no significant changes between the 0.25% turmeric extract cream and grated yellow turmeric applied once and twice a day. However, there is a tendency of increasing skin elasticity score on day 21 of 0.25% turmeric extract group.
. Garg A et al. Structure of Skin Lesions and Fundamentals of Clinical Diagnosis. In: Goldsmith, L. A., Katz, S. I., Gilchrest, B. A., Paller, A. S., Leffell, D. J. & Wolff, K. (eds.) Fitzpatrick
. Bennion S.D. Structure And Function Of The Skin. Dermatology Secret Plus. 4th ed. United Stase: ELSED.6-13. (2011).
. Fulop T et al. (The Role of Elastin Peptides in Modulating the Immune Response in Aging and Age-Related Diseas.es. Pathologie Biologie. 60: 28-33. 2012).
. Kim S.H. et al. Research of Traditional Herbal Medicines for Anti-Aging, Inhibition Effect of Wrinkle and Whitening Effect in the Skin. Journal of Physiology & Pathology in Korean Medicine. (2008).
. Seo J.E et al. Ultraviolet Irradiation Induces Thrombospondin-1 which Attenuates Type I Procollagen Downregulation in Human Dermal Fibroblasts. Journal of Dermatological Science. 59: 16-24. (2010).
. Sirerol J.A. Topical Treatment With Pterostilbene, a Natural Phytoalexin, Effectively Protects Hairless Mice Against UVB Radiation-Induced Skin Damage and Carcinogenesis. Free Radic Biol Med. 85: 1-11. (2015).
. Yaar M & Gilchrest B.A. Photoageing: Mechanism, Prevention and Therapy. Br J Dermatol. 157: 874-887. (2007).
. Yanhendri S.W.Y. Berbagai Bentuk Sediaan Topikal Dalam Dermatologi. Cermin Dunia Kedokteran. 194: 6. (2012).
. Ndiaye M et al. The Grape Antioxidant Resveratrol for Skin Disorders: Promise, Prospects, and Challenges. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 508: 164-170. (2011).
. Saraf S & Kaur C. Phytoconstituents as Photoprotective Novel Cosmetic Formulations. Pharmacognosy Reviews. 4: 1. (2010).
. Lucida H dkk. Pengaruh Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) di dalam Basis Krim terhadap Penetrasi Zat Aktif. Jurnal Ilmiah Farmasi Volume 4. (2007).
. Martelli L et al.Composition for Cosmetic or Pharmaceutical-Dermatological Use. Google Patents.(2007).
. Prabawati A. Evaluasi Daya Penetrasi Etil p-Metoksisinamat Hasil Isolasi dari Rimpang Kencur (Kaempferia galanga L.) pada Sediaan Salep, Krim, dan Gel. (2015).
. Setiawati S. Perbandingan Antara Ekstrak Kunyit 0,25% Parutan Kunyit dan Hidroquinon 4% Terhadap Perubahan Warna Kulit. Hassanuddin University. (2016).
. Winarsi H dkk. Deteksi Aging pada Perempuan Berdasarkan Status Antioksidan. Majalah Kedokteran Bandung. 45: 141-146. (2013).
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.