The Effect of Adding Linalol to Formalin on the Effectiveness of Embalming of Gastrocnemius Muscle
AbstractFormaldehyde has been a standardized embalming agent. However, it has a strong odor and potential adverse health effects. Linalool, a natural fragrance, has been shown to have an antibacterial activity. This study aimed to determine the effect of adding linalool to formaldehyde on the effectiveness of embalming rat gastrocnemius muscle. In this posttest only control group design, 25 Wistar rats were randomly divided into 5 groups. Forty eight hours postmortem, the first group injected with 10 ml formaldehyde was used as control, the remaining three groups were injected with 10 ml formaldehyde in combination with 2.5 ml, 5ml or 67.5 ml or 10 ml of linalool respectively. Forty eight hours post mortem, the histologic features of the gastrocnimeus muscle of rats was assessed. The data were tested for normality and homogeneity followed by Kruskal Wallis test. Mean number of post mortem autolytic cells of gastrocnimeus muscles for the four groups were 1.88±3.67, 10.58±11.70, 15.00±12.65, 16.31±27.31, 4.49±2.93 respectively. There was no significant difference (p>0.05). Adding linalool to formaldehyde has no effect on the effectiveness of embalming of rat gastrocnimeus muscle.
Zulham. Histoteknik dasar. 1st ed. Medan: Departemen Histologi 2009; FK USU
Edmund G, Brown JR. Information and instructions for embalmer licensure. 2011. [Accessed on 26 Januari 2016] Available from: http://www.cfb.ca.gov
Atmadja DS. Tatacara dan pelayanan pemeriksaan serta pengawetan jenazah pada kematian wajar. Jakarta: Bagian Kedokteran Forensik dan Medikolegal FKUI / RSUPN Cipto Mangunkosumo. 2002. [diakses pada 26 Januari 2017] diunduh dari: http://www.tatacaraembalming.com.
SIDS Initial Assessment Report, George Dr.. 11 February 2002; Switzerland
Coleman et al. An improved low-formaldehyde embalming fluid to preserve cadavers for anatomy teaching. Journal of anatomy.1998 : 443-446
Eells JT, Mc Martin KE, Black K, et al. Formaldehyde poisoning: Rapid metabolism to formic acid. JAMA 1981; 246: 1237-38
Abdollahi M, Hosseini A. Encyclopedia of toxicology Ed 3. Formaldehyde. 2014 : 653–656
Turan, et al. The mixture of liquid foam soap, ethanol and citric acid as a new fixative–preservative solution in veterinary anatomy. Jurnal Annals of Anatomy – Anatomischer Anzeiger 2016; 209: 11-17
Srinivasan K, Ramarao P. Animal models in type 2 diabetes research : an overview. Indian J Med Res 2007; 125 : 451-472
Murray, R., Granner, D., Rodwell, V., 2006, Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry, 27th Edition, The McGraw-Hill Companies, United States of America, 207.
Kumar, V., Cotran, R.S., Robbins, S.L. Buku Ajar Patologi, Edisi 7, Volume 1, 2007; EGC, Jakarta, 189
Maksoud, Gomma Abel and El-Amin, Abdel Rahman. A Review On Material Used During The Mummification Process In Ancien Egypt. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry 2011; 11( 2) : 129-150
Brenner, E. Human body preservation – old and new techniques. Journal of Anatomy 2014; 224(3) : 316–344. http://doi.org/10.1111/joa.12160
Andrew J Connolly, Walter E. Finkbeiner, Philip C. Ursell, Richard L. Davis. Autopsy Pathology. Philadelphia : Elsevier. 2016: 26
Rowe RC, Sheske PJ, Quinn ME. 2009. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients. Lexi-Comp: American Pharmaceutical Association, Inc. p. 418, 685.
Giroun C. Mariangela DC. Aurelie B., Vincent V., Nicolas CL., Bernard B. E-Cigarettes: A Review of New Trends in Cannabis Use. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2015;12 (8):9988-10008
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.