The Effectivity of Physiotherapy Modification Technique on Pain, Muscle Weakness, Joint Stiffness, and Abnormal Walking Pattern on People with Knee Osteoarthritis
AbstractKnee osteoarthritis is a degenerative and progressive joint disease characterized by damage to joint cartilage and joint structure accompanied by new bone growth on the edge of the joint (osteophytes). Patients with knee osteoarthritis have complaints of pain, morning stiffness, and inflammation in the joints, limited scope of joint motion, decreased muscle strength, joint instability and functional ability problems. Physiotherapy modification technique is one of the physiotherapy techniques that can be used to deal with pain problems, joint stiffness, decreased muscle strength, and abnormal walking patterns in patients with knee osteoarthritis. This study aims to determine whether there is an effect of physiotherapy modification techniques on changes in pain, muscle strength, joint stiffness and walking patterns in patients with knee osteoarthritis.This study is a quasi-experimental research with time series design. Twenty-five subjects who met inclusion criteria were recruited to participate. The outcome measure used were Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) to measure pain, Range of Motion (ROM) to measure joint stiffness, Manual Muscle Test (MMT) to measure muscle strength, and the gait cycle measurement to measure walking pattern.Measurements were made at baseline, after 3 times and 6 times of treatments. Data analysis was using paired T test and Wilcoxon test.The results showed that there was a decreased pain intensity, increased knee flexion/extension ROM and muscle strength, and improved walking pattern after being given 3 times and 6 times of treatments (p < 0.001). In conclusion, physiotherapy modification technique has a significant effect on decreasing pain, increasing muscle strength, and improving joint stiffness and walking pattern of people with knee osteoarthritis.
. Rheumatology, A.C.o., Criteria for Classification of Idiopatic Osteoathritis (OA) of The Knee Joint. Online. 2012.
. Hamijoyo, L., Pengapuran Sendi atau Osteoartritis. All Right Reserved: Perhimpunan Reumatologi Indonesia., 2014
. Anwar, Efek Penambahan Roll – Slide Fleksi Ekstensi Terhadap Penurunan Nyeri Pada Osteoartritis Sendi Lutut. Jurnal Fisioterapi, 2012. Volume 12, No 1.
. Salma, Waspada 12 Penyakit yang merusak Tulang Anda. Jakarta: Cerdas Sehat. , 2013.
. Negara, J., Penambahan Traksi/Translasi pada Latihan Gerak Aktif pada Osteoarthritis Lutut Wanita Lanjut Usia. Program Studi Fisioterapi Pasca Sarjana UNUD Bali, 2013.
. Kisner, C., L.A. Colby, and J. Borstad, Therapeutic exercise: foundations and techniques. 2017: Fa Davis.
. Priatna, H., Exercise Theraphy Surakarta. Akademi Fisioterapi Surakarta., 1985.
. Hunter, D.J., Focusing osteoarthritis management on modifiable risk factor and future therapeutic prospects. . Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Desease: 34-47, 2009.
. Suriani, S.d.L., I.S. , Latihan Theraband Lebih Baik Menurunkan Nyeri Daripada Latihan Quadriceps Bench Pada Osteoarthritis Genu. Jurnal Fisioterapi, 2013 Volume 13, Nomor : 46-54.
. Wardhani, R.R., Pengaruh Manual Terapi Traksi Terhadap Peningkatan Lingkup Gerak Sendi Pada Osteoarthritis Lutut. . Program Studi S1 Fisioterapi Stikes Aisyiyah Yogyakarta, 2014
. Jansen, M.J., Viechtbauer. W, Lenssen, A.F, Hendriks, E.J.M and Bie, R.A. , Strength training alone, exercise therapy alone, and exercise therapy with passive manual mobilisation each reduce pain and disability in people with knee osteoarthritis. Journal of Physiotherapy, 2011 Volume 57. .
. Syamsia, F.N., Pengaruh Pemberian Stretching Dan Strengthening Exercise Terhadap Perubahan Aktivitas Fungsional Pada Penderita Osteoarthritis Genu. Prodi Fisioterapi Universitas Hasanuddin. Makassar, 2017.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.