Bacterial Contamination of Selected Public Toilet Door Handles within Adekunle Ajasin University Campus, Akungba-Akoko, Ondo State, Nigeria
AbstractThe bacterial contamination of selected public Toilet door-handles within Adekunle Ajasin University campus, Akungba-Akoko, Ondo State, Nigeria were evaluated. A total of 200 toilet door handles were swabbed and cultured for bacteria isolation. The samples were cultured on MacConkey agar and Blood agar plates, after which the isolates were identified with API-20E test kit. The following bacteria were isolated Escherichia coli (21.1%), Coagulase negative Staphylococcus (21.1%), Pseudomonas aeruginosa (15.8%), Staphylococcus aureus (10.5%), Proteus mirabilis (10.5%), Salmonella sp. (10.5%), Klebsiella sp. (5.3%), Shigella dysentariae (5.3%). All the bacteria isolated were susceptible to Gentamycin and Erythromycin. Only Pseudomonas aureginosa and Staphylococcus aureus were susceptible to Amoxicilin. The result of this study indicates that there are contaminations of bacterial origin on public toilets door-handles within Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, Ondo State, Nigeria which requires urgent and proper intervention.
. Short, A. D., Kennedy, L. J., Barnes, A., Fretwell, N., Jones, C., Thomson, W. and Ollier, W. E. Hardy weinberg expectations in canine breeds: implications for genetic studies. Journal of Heredity, 98:445–51, 2007
. Augustino, C., Asha, L., Joel, M., Alexanda, M., Eliakunda, M., Elisa, M., Isaac, M. and Emma, P. Determination of bacterial load and antibiotic susceptibility testing of bacterial isolated from students’ toilets at Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania. Journal of Health,Medicine and Nursing, 5: 1-6, 2014
. Prescott, L. M., Harley, J. P., Klen, A. Donald. Microbiology, fourth Edition, McGraw Hill Publishing Press. 346-349, 1999
. Lynn, M., Vivian, O. A. and Wasa, A. A. The prevalence of bacterial organisms on toilet door handles in Secondary Schools in Bokkos L.G.A., Plateau State, Nigeria. Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences, 8(4):85-91, 2013
. Flores, G., Bates, S. and Knights, D. (2011). Microbial biogeography of public restroom surfaces. PloS ONE 6(11): 1-5, 2011
. Adewoyin, A. G., Majolagbe, O. N., Ogunmoyewa, T. and Abejide, M. A. Antibiotic resistance profile of microbial isolates of toilet-bowl of some students’ hostels in Ogbomoso, Nigeria. European Journal of Applied Sciences, 5(3): 76-79, 2013
. Lindberg, E., Adderberth, I., Hesseimar, B., Saalman, R., Strannegard, I., Alberg, N.and Wold, A. High rate of transfer of Staphylococcus aureus from parental strain to gut flora. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 42: 530-534, 2004
. Amala, S. E. and Ade, A. J. Bacteria associated with toilet and office lock handles. International Journal of Epidemiology and Infection, 3(1):12-15, 2015
. Kusumaningrum, H. D., Riboldi, G., Hazelegar, W. C. and Buemer, R. R. Survival of food borne pathogens on stainless steel surfaces and cross contamination to foods. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 8:227-2236, 2003
. Oie, S., Hosokawa, I., and Kamiya, A. Contamination of room door handles by Methiulin sensitive /methicilline resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Journal of Hospital infections. 51:140-143, 2002
. Goldman, D. S. Transmission of viral respiratory infection in the home. Journal of Pediatric Infectious Disease, 19: 97-102, 2000
. Bright, K. R., Boone, S. A. and Gerba, C. P. Occurrence of bacteria and viruses on Elementary classroom surfaces and the potential role of Elementary Classroom hygiene in the spread of infectious diseases. The Journal of School Nursing, 26 (1):33-41, 2010
. Reynolds, K. A., Watt, P. M., Boone, S. A., and Gerba, C. P. Occurrence of bacteria and biochemical markers on public surfaces. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 15: 225-234, 2005
. Baker, J., Silverton, R. E. and Pallister, C. J. Introduction to Medical Laboratory Technique 7th Edition. 2001, pp 56-58.
. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute –CLSI. Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing. Eighteenth information supplement. 28(1): 34-52, 2012
. Wachukwu, C. K., Abbey, S. D., Amala, S. E. and Ike, R. O. Aetiologic agents of enteric fever and their antibiogram in Aba Metropolis, Nigeria. Mary Slessor Journal of Medicine, 7 (1):16-20, 2007.
. Hammuel, C., Idoko, M.O., Migap, H.H. and Ambrose, N. Occurrence and antibiogram profile of Staphylococcus aureus from some hospital environment in Zaria, Nigeria. African journal of Microbiology 9(9): 1304-1311, 2015
. Otter, J., Yezli, S. and French, G. The role played by contaminated surfaces in the transmission of nosocomial pathogens. Journal of infection control and hospital Epidemiology. 32(7): 687-699, 2011
. Li, D., Zhang, Y. and Yu, T. Antibiotic resistance characteristics of environmental bacteria from an oxytetracycline production waste water treatment plant and the receiving river. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 5: 3444-3451, 2010
. Bloomfield, S. F. and Scott, E. Cross contamination and infection domestic environment and the role of chemical disinfection. Journal of Applied microbiology, 8: 1-9, 1979
. Hockin, J. C., Aoust, J. Y. and Bowering, D. An international outbreak of Salmonella from imported chocolate. Journal of Food Protection, 52:51-59, 1989
. Carvalho, K.S., Melo, M.C., Melo, G.B.,Gontijo-Fiho, P.P. Hospital surface contamination in wards occupied by patients infected with MRSA or MSSA in a Brazillian University hospital. J. Basic Appl Pharm. Sci. 28(2): 159-163, 2007
. Nworie, A., Ayeni, J.A., Eze, U.A. and Azi, S.O. Bacterial contamination of door handles/knobs in selected public conveniences in Abuja metropolis, Nigeria: a public health threat. Continental J. Medical Research 6(1): 7-11, 2012
. Pal, R.B., Rodrigues, M. and Datta, S. Role of Pseudomonas in nosocomial infection and biological characterization of local strains. Journal of Bioscience Technology. 1(4): 170-179, 2010
. Schonning, C, Schonning, C. and Stenstrom, T (2004) Guidelines on the safe use of urine and feaces in ecological sanitation systems. http://www.acosanres.org/pdf_files/ESR_Publications. Accesed on October 24th, 2018
. Opere, B.O., Ojo, J.O., Omonigbehin, E. and Bamidele, M. Antibiotic susceptibility and plasmid profile analysis of pathogenic bacteria isolated from environmental surfaces in public toilets Transnational Journal of Science and Technology 3(2): 22-30, 2013
. DubMandal, M. Experiments on exploration of environmental bacteria degrading a pesticide used in agriculture. Thesis, University of Jadavpur, pp 213, 2005
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.