Students’ Mathematical Connection Ability Through the Problem Posing Approach Based on Learning Styles
AbstractMathematical connection ability is the ability to associate mathematical concepts both between topics in mathematics itself and to associate mathematical concepts with concepts in other fields. Without a mathematical connection, students must learn and remember too many separate mathematical concepts and procedures. Therefore, teachers in the learning process need to develop students' mathematical connection ability, for example through the application of a problem posing approach. This study aims to determine students' mathematical connection ability based on each student's learning style in mathematics learning. This research is a descriptive study that aims to describe the mathematical connection ability through a problem posing approach based on learning styles on quadrilateral material. The subjects in this study were students of class VII-2 of SMP 4 Banda Aceh who were selected based on fulfiling the four indicators, fulfilling some indicators and not fulfilling the indicators of mathematical connection ability. The data collection techniques used in this study were questionnaires, interviews and tests of mathematical connection skill. The data was analyzed by reducing data, presenting data and drawing conclusions. The results show that students who have a visual learning style fulfill their connection ability in mathematics, intertopic connections in mathematics, connections between mathematical material and other sciences besides mathematics, as well as connections between mathematics and everyday life. Students who have a visual learning style can write steps to solve problems systematically and can solve problems from all the test questions. Students who have an auditory learning style only master the connection indicators in mathematics and intertopic connections in mathematics. Students who have auditory learning styles can write steps to solving problems systematically but do not write complete solutions. Students who have a kinesthetic learning style fulfill connection skill in mathematics, intertopic connections in mathematics, and connections between mathematics and everyday life. Students who have kinesthetic learning styles prefer to think while doing something.
Setyaningsih, E. & Djamilah, B. W. (2015). Kefektifan pendekatan problem posing ditinjau dari prestasi belajar, kemampuan koneksi matematis, dan disposisi matematis. Jurnal Pendidikan Matematika. 10(1), hal. 28-37.
Rismawati, M., Irawan, E.B., & Susanto, H. (2016). Analisis Kesalahan Koneksi Matematis Siswa pada Materi Sistem Persamaan Linier Dua Variabel. Jurnal, hal. 126-134. ISSN 2502-6526.
Romli, M. (2016). Profil Koneksi Matematis Siswa Perempuan SMA dengan Kemampuan Matematika Tinggi dalam Menyelesaikan Masalah Matematika. Journal of Mathematics Education, Sciense and Technology. 2(1), hal. 144-163.
Wilburne, J.M. and Napoli, M. 2008. Connecting mathematics and literature: an analysis of pre-servise elementary school teacher’s changing beliefs and knowledge. Journal issues in the undergraduate mathematics preparation of school teachers, 2, hal. 1-10.
National Council of Teacher of Mathematics. 2000. Principles and Standards for School Mathematics. Reston, VA: Author.
Apipah, S., & Kartono. (2017). Analisis kemampuan koneksi matematis berdasarkan gaya belajar siswa pada model pembelajaran vak dengan self assessment. Unnes Journal of Mathematics Education Research. 6(2), hal. 148-156.
Saraswati, N.E. & Faridatul, M. (2014). Proses Berpikir Mahasiswa dengan Gaya Belajar Visual dalam Mengajukan Soal Matematika Tipe Post Solution Posing. Al-Khwarizmi. 2(2), hal. 29-46.
Patmawati, Abdul,R. & Asdar. (2015). Efektivitas Penerapan Strategi TTW dalam Pembelajaran Matematika ditinjau dari Gaya Belajar Siswa. Journal of EST, 1(2), hal. 73-85.
Ainurrizqiyah, Z., Mulyono., & Sutarto, H. 2015. Keefektifan Model PJBL dengan CREATIVE MIND-MAP Untuk Meningkatkan Koneksi Matematika Siswa. Unnes Journal of Mathematics Education, 4(2), hal. 172-179.
Linto, R.L., Elniati, S., & Rizal, Y. 2012. Kemampuan koneksi matematis dan metode pembelajaran quantum teaching dengan peta pikiran. Junral pendidikan Matematika, 1(1), hal. 83-87.
Rohendi, D,. & Dulpaja, J. (2013). Connected Mathematics Project (CMP) Model Based on Presentation Media to the Mathematical connection Ability of Junior School Student. Journal of Education and Practice, 4(4), hal. 17-22.
Meika, I. & Asep, S. (2017). Kemampuan berpikir kreatif dan pemecahan masalah matematis siswa SMA. Jurnal Penelitian dan Pembelajaran Matematika (JPPM). 10(2), hal. 8-13.
Suryanto. (1998). Problem Posing dalam Pembelajaran Matematika. Makalah disajikan pada Seminar Nasional: Upaya-upaya Meningkatkan Peran Pendidikan dalam Menghadapi Era Globalisasi. Program Pascasarjana IKIP: Malang.
Thobroni, M. (2015). Belajar & Pembelajaran:Teori dan Praktik. Yogyakarta: Ar-Ruzz Media.
DePorter, Bobbi & Hernacki,M. (2002). Quantum Teaching. Bandung: Kaifa.
Purbaningrum, K., A. (2017). Kemampuan Berpikir Tingkat Tinggi Siswa SMP dalam Pemecahan Masalah Matematika ditinjau dari Gaya Belajar. JPPM. 10(2), hal. 40-49.
DePorter, Bobbi & Hernacki,M. (2013). Quantum Learning: Membiasakan Belajar Nyaman dan Menyenangkan. Translated by Alwiyah.Bandung: Kaifa.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.