Some Biases in Likert Scaling Usage and its Correction
AbstractIn this paper, common biases or errors in the construction of intervals under the Likert scaling methodology in both odd and even scales are shown. Examples of researches that uses this scales especially in survey that requires perception response from the respondents will be presented, discussed and analyzed for possible biases. Suggestions for the corrections of these biases are presented in order to minimize the bias leading for a better labeling and interpretations of the results.
. Anonymous. The Effect of Right or Left Placement of the Positive Response on Likert-Type Scales Used by Medical Students for Rating Instruction. Education for Health, vo1.1, pp.122, 1998
. E.R..Babbie. The Basics of Social Research. Belmont, CA: Thomson Wadsworth. p. 174 , 2005 ISBN 0534630367.
. J. Dawes. "Do Data Characteristics Change According to the number of scale points used? An experiment using 5-point, 7-point and 10-point scales". International Journal of Market Research, vol. 50 (1), pp.61–77, 2008
. S. Grant, T. Aitchison, E. Henderson, J. Christie, S. Zare, J. McMurray and H. Dargie..‘A Comparison of the Reproducibility and the Sensitivity to Change of Visual Analogue Scales, Borg Scales, and Likert Scales in Normal Subjects during Submaximal Exercise’ Chest, vol.116, pp 1208-1218, 1999
. J.Jacoby, and M.S. Matell. ‘Three-Point Likert Scales are Good Enough’ Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 8, pp. 495-501, 1971
. S. Jamieson. Likert scales: how to abuse them Blackwell Publishing Ltd MEDICAL EDUCATION 2004; vol.38, pp.1212–1218, 2004
. G.P. Latham. Work Motivation: History, Theory, Research, And Practice. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications. p. 15, 2006 ISBN 0761920188.
. K.Lindhorst,, L. Corby, S. Roberts, S. Zeiler. ‘Rural Consumers’ Attitudes towards Nutrition Labeling’ Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, vol.68, pp.146-150, 2007
. R. Likert, "A Technique for the Measurement of Attitudes". Archives of Psychology vo.140: pp. 1–55, 1932
. L. S. Myers, G. Anthony, G. Glenn. Applied Multivariate Research: Design and Interpretation. Sage Publications. p. 20, 2005, ISBN 1412904129.
. N. Mogey, (March 25, 1999). "So You Want to Use a Likert Scale?". Learning Technology Dissemination Initiative. Heriot-Watt University. Retrieved April 30, 2009.
. G. Norman.Likert scales, level of measurement and the “laws” of statistics. Advances in Health Sciences Education. vol.15(5), pp. 625-632, 2010,
. J.L..Pimentel. A Note on the Usage of Likert Scaling for Research Data Analysis. USM R&D Journal, vol. 18, (2), 2010. ISSN 0302-7937.
. W.E. Saris, I. Gallhofer, W.Van der Veld, W. A scientific Method for Questionnaire Design: SQP. University of Amsterdam, 2003
. M.Seal, M. Patient Advocacy and Advance Care Planning in the Acute Hospital Setting. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol.24, pp.29-37, 2007
. G.M.Sullivan, A.R. Artino. Analyzing and Interpreting Data from Likert-Type Scales, Journal of Graduate Medical Education vol. 5(4), pp.541-542, 2013
. B.Torff, R.,Tirotta. Interactive whiteboards produce small gains in elementary students’ self-reported motivation in Mathematics. Computers & Education vol. 54, pp. 379-383, 2010 Elsevier Ltd.
. W.M. Trochim, (October 20, 2006). "Likert Scaling". Research Methods Knowledge Base, 2nd Edition. Retrieved April 30, 2009
. J.S. Uebersax, J. S. (2006). "Likert Scales: Dispelling the Confusion". Retrieved August 17, 2009.
. E. Muraki. Fitting a Polytomous Item Response Model to Likert-Type Data. Applied Psychological Measurement.vol.14.no.1. pp.59-71,1990
F. Samejima. Estimation of latent ability using a response pattern of graded scores. Psychometrika Monograph Supplement, no. 17. 1969
. G.N. Masters. A Rasch model for partial credit scoring. Psychometrika, vol. 47, pp.149-174, (1982)
. D.R. Hodge, D. Gillespie, Phrase Completions: An alternative to Likert Scales, Social Work Research, vol.27 pp. 45-55. .2003
. J.C. Westland. The information content of financial survey response data. Financial Innovation .vol.1. no.1. 2015
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.