Anti-hyperglycemic Activity in Vitro, Actuate Toxicity in Vivo and Antioxidant Activity of the Crude Extract of the Root of Plumeria alba L.
AbstractMedicinal plants are the single most productive sources for the development of drugs and play an important role in treating and preventing a variety of diseases through the world. Plumeria alba Linn. commonly known as Tayoke-sakar-aphyu in Myanmar is one of the medicinal plants belonging to Apocynaceae family. The pharmacological studies were carried out to investigate antimicrobial activity, antioxidant activity, anti-hyperglycemic activity in vitro and acute toxicity in vivo. The main aim of the present research is to evaluate the biological activities of the root of Plumeria alba L, Firstly, phytochemical screening of the collected sample was performed. Elemental composition of the crude sample was examined by EDXRF (Energy Dispersive X-ray Fluorescence) spectroscopy. Moreover three different solvents such as ethanol, ethyl acetate and n-hexane extracts of the sample were examined for their antimicrobial activities against Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Bacillus pumilus, Candida albicans and E. coli by Agar- well diffusion method. The antioxidant activity of ethanol extract of the root of Plumeria alba L. was studied by DPPH (1,1-Diphenyl-2-picryl-hydrayl) assay. The acute toxicity of ethanol extract of the root of Plumeria alba L. on Artemia salinna were investigated. The glucose lowering activities of the water and ethanol extracts of the sample were determined by iodometric titration.
Chukwuma S. Ezeonu, et al, (2016),"Qualitative and Quantitative Determination of Phytochemical Contents of Indigenous Nigerian Softwoods". New Journal of Science,Volume 2016, Article ID 5601327, 9 pages.
Dr. Santosh Jain Passi, et al," Health Benefits of Antioxidants and Phytochemicals". "Let food be thy medicine; and medicine be thy food" Hippocrates (431 BC),Source:PIB.
Emily Loghmani, (2005)," Diabetes Mellitis:Type 1 and Type 2". Stang J, Story M (eds) Guidelines for Adolescent Nutrition Servies.
Harborne J. B (1973),"Phytochemical methods (London:Chapman and Hall).
Kadebe Zoua, et al, (2014)," Efffecf of Plumria alba Roots Hydro Alcoholic Extract on some Parameters of Type 2 Diabetes".Research Journal of Medicinal Plant, ISSN 1819-3455.
Manjiusha Choudhary, et al, (2014)," Phytochemical and Pharmacological activity of Genus Plumeria:An updated review". International Journal of Biomedical And Advance Research.ISSN: 2229-3809.
Md.Nur Alam*, et al, (2012)," Review on in vivo and in vitro methods evaluation of antioxidant activity". Saudi Pharmacrutical Journal (2013) 21,143-152.
Monika Gupta, et al,(2016),"Phytochemical screening of Leaves of Plumeria alba and Plumeria acuminate". Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research,2016,8(5):354-358.
O.P.Pandey, et al,(1972)," Practical Chemistry (for B.Sc.I, II & III Year Students of All Indian Universities" .Prprint 2010.
Sabai, et al,(2000)," Evaluation of the Bioactivities of Some Myanmar Medicinal Plants Using Brine Shrimp (Artemia salina) Toxicity Test". J. Myan .Acad. Tech.1,2001,105-112.
Thamaraiselvi, et al,(2012),"Preliminary studies on phytochemicals and antimicrobial activity of solvent extracts of Eichhornia crassipes (Mart.) Solms". Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research,
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.