TP53 Gene Status in the Presence of Allicin in NNK Induced Pancreatic Cancer Albino Rats
AbstractPancreatic cancer (PC) is the fourth most lethal form of cancer in Western society, with mortalities closely mirroring incidence and an overall 5-year survival of less than 7%. Traditional medicine which involves the use of herbs has been used to treat various types of cancer and this has been found to be effective with minimal or no side effects. This ressearch was aimed at evaluating the chemo preventive effect of extract of the active ingredients of garlic (Allicine)on Nitrosamines induced pancreatic cancer in rat. Allicine was extracted from garlic by crushing the garlic in an ethanol and inject into the HPLC column. Agarose gel electrophoresis was used to analyze deoxyribonuleic acid (DNAs) extracted from the pancreatic tissue of the experimental mice while haematoxylin and eosin staining was used for histological assay.There was a significant reduction in the weight of the experimental animals that were administered with NNK. The animals administered with extract (allicin) also show a reduction in weight. Normal control animals were seen to have gained weight. DNA bands obtained from agarose gel electrophoresis suggested a possible NNK induced damage which was prevented to a certain degree owing to the effect of the allicin. Histological assay revealed the presence of neoplastic hyperplasia which is more prominent in the histological sections of the pancreatic tissue of the rats which were not treated with allicin. This study has shown that allicin could be used as a treatment against NNK induced pancreatic cancer in white albino rats at the right concentration.
. Adebamowo, C.A. and Ajayi, O.O. (2000). Breast cancer in Nigeria. West African Journal Medicine 19,179-194.
. Alawode, T. T. 2013. An overview of the anti-cancer properties of some plants used in traditional medicine in Nigeria. International Research Journal of Biochemistry and Bioinformatics. 3(1): 7-14.
. America Cancer Society. 2007 Cancer Facts and Figures. Atlanta, GA: America Cancer
. American Cancer Society. 2012. Breast Cancer facts and figures. American Cancer Society,
. American Cancer Society. 2014. Key Statistics about Cancer
. American Cancer Society. 2015. Cancer Facts and Figures. Atlanta, Ga: American Cancer
. Awodele, O., Adeyomoye, A.A., Awodele, D.F., Fayankinu, V.B and Dolapo, D.C. (2011). Cancer distribution pattern in south-western Nigeria. Tanzanian Journal of Health Reseach. 13(2): 1-8.
. Bond-Smith, G., Banga N., Hammond T. M. 2012. Imber Clinical Journal. 344: 2476 -2477. evaluation and anticancer screening of rhizomes of Kaempferia galangal Linn. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 9:1-2.
. Hruban, R. H, Petersen, P. K. Ha, S.E. 1998. Kern Genetics of pancreatic cancer from genes International Atlanta.
. Jemal, A., 2008. Cancer statistics, 2008. Cancer Journal of Clinic. 58:71–96.
. Mao, J. J, Palmer, C. S., Healy, K. E., Desai, K and Amsterdam, J (2011). Complementary and alternative medicine use among cancer survivors: a population-based study. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 5: 8-17.
. Mathew, B., Vijayabaskarb, M., Mathewa, G.E., Thomas, K.M (2010). Phytochemical
. Michaud D.S, Giovannucci E, Willett W.C, Colditz G.A, Stampfer M.J, Fuchs C.S (2001). Physical activity, obesity, height, and the risk of pancreatic cancer. JAMA. 286:921-9.
. Michaud, D.S., Skinner, H.G., Wu, K., Hu, K., Giovannucci, E., Willett, W.C., Colditz, G.A., and Fuchs, C.S (2005). Dietary patterns and pancreatic cancer risk in men and women. Journal of National Cancer Institute. 97:518-524.
. National Cancer Institute. 2014. Defining Cancer. Reviewed 10 June 2014. www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/cancerlibrary/what-is-cancer of families. Surgery oncology of clinical journal. 7 (1) 1-23.
. Ozbay, T. and Nahta, R (2011). Delphinidin inhibits HER2 and Erk1/2 signalling and suppresses growth of HER2 overexpressing and triple negative breast cancer cell lines. Basic and Clinical Research. 5: 143-154.
. Simonetti, G. (1990). Schuler, S., ed. Simon & Schuster's Guide to Herbs and Spices. Simon and Schuster, Inc Society.
. Sofowora, A. (2008). Medicinal plants and traditional medicine in Africa. John Wiley and sons LTD, Pp.1-10.
. Sowemimo, A., Van de4. Venter M., Baatjies L, and Koekemoer T (2011). Cytotoxicity evaluation of selected Nigerian plants used in traditional cancer treatment. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 5(11): 2442-244.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.