Analysis of Defficiencies in Building Structure as a Contributing Factor to Building Failure
AbstractBuilding failure is a state where a building is in ruins and/or unusable after the final delivery of construction. Many factors cause building failure, ranging from imperfect planning, poor use of materials, implementation of untechnical work, incorrect use of space functionality and improper and/or imprecise maintenance. Previous studies have researched about planning, supervision and implementation, but this study focuses on the analysis of building structure deficiencies at the operational stage for 4 main multi-storey buildings of the Jember State Islamic Institute (IAIN Jember – Institut Agama Islam Negeri Jember). This study aims to determine the condition, reliability and functioning of the buildings, as an initial step to identify the occurrence of building failures. It studies on buildings above ten years using a visual method and a building structure test of hammer test method. The results showed that of the 4 buildings that suffered the highest minor damage to the structural elements was found in the lecture building with a percentage of damage to the structure of 6.45%. The highest architectural damage was on the staff buildings with 16.90%. The highest utility damage was found at 6.03% also on the staff building. The methods used was capable in recognizing and evaluating the damage on the buildings which it could then be applied to prevent building failures.
UU No 28, “BANGUNAN GEDUNG,” 2002.
A. A. Aziz, T. Adi, Y. Tanojo, and I. Nurhuda, “PERENCANAAN STRUKTUR GEDUNG CENTER OF ADVANCES SCIENCE ( CAS ) INSTITUT TEKNOLOGI BANDUNG,” vol. 6, pp. 285–295, 2017.
A. David, “Structural serviceability of buildings,” 2019.
C. P. Au-Yong, A. S. Ali, and F. Ahmad, “Preventive Maintenance Characteristics towards Optimal Maintenance Performance: A Case Study of Office Buildings,” World J. Eng. Technol., vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 1–6, 2014.
E. Engineering, A. Ghobarah, H. Abou-elfath, and A. Biddah, “Response-based damage assessment of Structures RESPONSE-BASED DAMAGE ASSESSMENT OF STRUCTURES,” vol. 9845, no. January, 1999.
Dirjen PU Cipta Karya, Pedoman Teknis Bangunan Tahan Gempa Direktorat Jenderal Cipta Karya. 2006.
O. S. O and R. Abdulwahab, “Building Collapse in Nigeria ( 2009- 2019 ), Causes and Remedies – A Review Building Collapse in Nigeria ( 2009- 2019 ), Causes and Remedies – A Review A building structure can be defined as an artistically and aesthetically created,” no. June, 2019.
B. S. Olusola, “An assessment of failure of building components in Nigeria,” vol. 4, no. January, pp. 279–286, 2009.
T. Zuofa and E. G. Ochieng, “Project Failure : The Way forward and Panacea for Development,” vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 59–71, 2014.
G. M. Ayininuola, “Assessment of building failures in Nigeria : Lagos and Ibadan case study ASSESSMENT OF BUILDING FAILURES IN NIGERIA :,” no. February 2005, 2014.
F. Kistiani, “Kontribusi Sertifikasi SDM Konstruksi Terhadap Kegagalan Konstruksi Dan Kegagalan Bangunan Studi Kasus Provinsi Jawa Tengah,” vol. 105, pp. 1–10, 2016.
O. C. Okereke, “Causes of failure and abandonment of projects and project deliverables in Africa,” vol. VI, no. I, pp. 1–16, 2017.
M. Hamma-adama and T. Kouider, “Causes of Building Failure And Collapse I n Nigeria : Professionals ’ View American Journal of Engineering Research ( AJER ),” no. 12, pp. 289–300, 2017.
L. A. Asante and A. Sasu, “The Challenge of Reducing the Incidence of Building Collapse in Ghana : Analyzing the Perspectives of Building Inspectors in Kumasi,” 2018.
S. N. Indonesia and B. S. Nasional, “Persyaratan beton struktural untuk bangunan gedung,” 2013.
Copyright (c) 2020 International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.