The Use of Substitution Table in Teaching Writing Among Primary School Students
AbstractThis action research was conducted with the aim to enhance the teaching of writing skills by using the substitution table as a teaching technique to improve teaching writing skills, consequently leading to an improvement in Second Language learners' writing skills in the English Language. The substitution table was used to teach pupils the rules about writing simple sentences correctly besides training and drilling them in wiring simple sentences. Participants of this action research were ten students of Year 3 from one of the schools in Pasir Gudang district, Johor. The data was collected via document analysis. Results showed that use of a substitution table facilitated in teaching about writing skills, which consequently led to the improvement in the pupils' simple sentence writing skills. The researcher discovered that pupils were interested and motivated when teachers used the substitution table to teach writing simple sentences. They also managed to write simple sentences without any errors.
. Nunan. D. "Language Teaching Methodology". Hertfordshire: Prentice Hall International, 1991.
. Liza. A. "Enhancing ESL Writing using Sentence Variety Checklist". 3rd International Language Conference (ILC), 2014.
. Lassa. P. N. "Maintaining quality in higher education in Nigeria". Education in Nigeria: Past, present and future:(A book in honour of Professor Aliu Babatunde Fafunwa) vol. 1. 1992.
. Ngadda. Y. and Nwoke. A. "An analytical study of errors in the written English of undergraduate engineering students, ATBU a case study". Journal of Education and Practice. vol. 5(38), pp. 8-16. 2014.
. Graham. S. McKeown. D. Kiuhara. S. and Harris. R. "A meta-analysis of writing instruction for students in the elementary grades". Journal of educational psychology, vol.4, pp. 879, 2012.
. Kellogg. R. "Attentional overload and writing performance: effects of rough draft and outline strategies". Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, vol. 14, pp. 355–365, 1988.
. Silva. T. "Second language composition instruction: Developments, issues, and directions in ESL", Second language writing: Insights for the classroom. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990.
. Brindley. R. and Schneider. J. "Writing instruction or destruction: Lessons to be learned from fourth-grade teachers' perspectives on teaching writing". Journal of Teacher Education, vol. 53(4), pp. 328–341, 2002.
. Routman. R. and Routman. R. "Invitations: Changing as teachers and learners K-12," Irwin Pub. 1991.
. Pinnell. S. and Fountas. C. "Word Matters: Teaching Phonics and Spelling in the Reading/Writing Classroom," Heinemann, 88 Post Rd., W., Box 5007, Westport, CT 06881-5007. 1998.
. Holdich. E. and Chung. H. "A 'computer tutor' to assist children to develop their narrative writing skills: conferencing with HARRY," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, vol. 59(5), pp. 631–669, 2003.
. Swanto. S. and Din. A. "Employing drilling technique in teaching English writing skills to a group of rural Malaysian students," Developing Country Studies, vol. 4(14), pp. 73-82. 2014.
. Brophy. J. "Classroom management techniques," Education and urban society, vol. 18(2), pp. 182-194. 1986.
. Zerin. S. "Teaching Writing to Young Learners," 2007.
. Ngadda. Y. The International Journal of Humanities & Social Studies, 2(7), 4. 2014.
. Hubbard. P. "An integrated framework for CALL courseware evaluation," Calico Journal. pp. 51-72. 1988.
. Graham. S. Bollinger. A. Booth Olson. C. D'Aoust. C. MacArthur. C. McCutchen. D. and Olinghouse. N. "Teaching elementary school students to be effective writers: A practice guide (NCEE 2012- 4058)," Washington, DC: National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance, Institute of Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education. 2012.
Copyright (c) 2020 International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.