Determinants of Regional Development Banks’ Net Interest Margin in Indonesia with NPL as Intervening Variable
AbstractBanks as a driver of the national economy of a country should in a right condition to be able to run their intermediation function properly. One of the bank's performance and health level assessments can use NIM. The banking NIM in Indonesia is being the highest in among the ASEAN countries. The aim at this study is to examine and provide empirical evidence of determinants of NIM either from internal factors such as AG or external factors such as inflation and GDPG and NPL's role as an intervening variable. The location of this study is RDB throughout Indonesia, in particular using data onto 2013 to 2017. The technique of determining the sample used was purposive sampling technique, so obtained as many as 19 RDB with a total of 95 data observations. The analysis technique used was path analysis with software SmartPLS version 3.2.7. The results showed that AG had a negative effect on NPL, conversely Inflation and GDPG had no effect on NPL. In the meantime, Inflation had a positive effect on NIM, however NPL have a negative effect on NIM, conversely AG and GDPG had no effect on NIM. Furthermore, the NPL mediates the effect of AG on the NIM, however the NPL does not mediate the effect of Inflation and GDPG on the NIM.
Akbar, Dinnul Alfian. “Inflasi, Gross Domesctic Product (GDP), Capital Adequacy Ratio (CAR), dan Finance to Deposit Ratio (FDR) terhadap Non Performing Financing (NPF) pada Bank Umum Syariah di Indonesia”. I-Economic, vol. 2, no. 2, pp.19-37, Des. 2016.
Ali, Masyhud. Asset Liability Management, Menyiasati Risiko Pasar dan Risiko Operasional dalam Perbankan. Jakarta: PT. Elex Media Komputindo, 2004.
Bank Indonesia. “Inflasi, Pengenalan Inflasi, Definisi Inflasi”. Internet: https://www.bi.go.id/id/moneter/inflasi/pengenalan/Contents/Default.aspx, Jul. 31, 2018 [Sep. 1, 2018].
Bank Indonesia. “Kodifikasi Peraturan Bank Indonesia tentang Penilaian Tingkat Kesehatan Bank”. Internet:https://www.bi.go.id/id/peraturan/kodifikasi/bank/Pages/22.214.171.124.%20Penilaian%20Tingkat%20Kesehatan%20Bank.aspx, Jan. 3, 2014 [Jul. 1, 2018].
Blanchard, Olivier and David, R. Johnson. Macroeconomics Global Edition, 6th ed., England: Pearson, 2013.
Dewi, Indah Lestari and Nyoman Triaryati. “Pengaruh Faktor Internal dan Eksternal Bank terhadap Net Interest Margin di Indonesia”. E-Jurnal Manajemen, vol. 6, no. 6, pp.3051-3079, 2017.
Dwihandayani, Deasy. “Analisis Kinerja Non Performing Loan (NPL) Perbankan di Indonesia dan Faktor-Faktor yang Mempengaruhi NPL”. Jurnal Ekonomi Bisnis, vol. 22, no.3, pp. 265-274, Des. 2017.
Ghozali, Imam. Aplikasi Analisis Multivariete dengan Program SPSS 23. Cetakan VIII. Semarang: Badan Penerbit Universitas Diponogoro, 2016.
Ginting, Ari Mulianta. “Pengaruh Makroekonomi Terhadap Non Performing Loan (NPL) Perbankan”. Jurnal Ekonomi & Kebijakan Publik, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 159-170, Des. 2016.
Isik, Ozcan and Murat Belke. “An Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of Net Interest Margins of Turkish Listed Banks: Panel Data Evidence from Post-Crisis Era”. Sosyoekonomi, vol. 25, no. 34, pp. 227-245, 2017.
Jima, Meshesha Demie. “Determinants of Net Interest Margin in the Ethiopian Banking Industry”. Journal of Finance and Economics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 96-104, 2017.
Kasmir. Dasar-Dasar Perbankan. Jakarta: PT. Raja Grafindo Persada, 2012.
Khanh, Hoang Trung and Vu Thi Dan Tra. “Determinants of Net Interest Margin of Commercial in Vietnam”. Journal of Economics and Development, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 69-82. August 2015.
Kinanti, Krizia Putri. 2017. “Penyaluran BPD: Geliat Masih Lemah”. Internet:https://kalimantan.bisnis.com/read/20170615/446/662763/penyaluran-kredit-bpd-geliat-masih-lemah, Jun. 15, 2017 [Feb. 18, 2019]
Koostanto, Harya Buntala, Hermanto Siregar and Hendro Sasongko. “Determinants of Net Interest Margin: A Case Study of Bank XYZ in Indonesia”. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, vol. 7, no.14, 2016.
Martina, Emy and Dewi Prastiwi. “Pengaruh Inflasi, Gross Domestic Product, Suku Bunga Kredit, Loan to Asset Ratio, dan Kualitas Aktiva Produktif terhadap Non Performing Loan”. Jurnal Ilmu Manajemen, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 513-524, Apr. 2014.
Moussa, Mohamed Aymen Ben and Wiem Majouj. “Determinants of Bank Net Interest Margin: Case of Tunisia”. Journal of Finance & Banking Studies, vol. 5, no. 3, pp.85-102, 2016.
Mutamimah and Chasanah. “Analisis Eksternal dan Internal dalam Menentukan Non Performing Financing Bank Umum Syariah di Indonesia”. Jurnal Bisnis dan Ekonomi (JBE), vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 49-64, Mar. 2012.
Plakalovic, Novo and Almir Alihodzic. “Determinants of the Net Interest Margins in BH Banks”. Industrija, vol. 43, no.1, Apr. 2015.
Prasetyo, Aries Heru. Manajemen Keuangan Bagi Manajer Non Keuangan. Jakarta: PPM, 2011.
Pratamawati, Hadiah Putri. “Analisis Faktor-Faktor yang Mempengaruhi Non Performing Loan pada Bank Umum BUMN Tahun 2012‒2016”. Jurnal Pendidikan dan Ekonomi, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 501-510, 2018.
Purba, Lamiduk Pincur and Nyoman Triaryati. “Pengaruh CAR, NPL, BOPO, dan LDR terhadap Net Interst Margin pada Perusahaan Perbankan yang Terdaftar di BEI”. E-Jurnal Manajemen Unud, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 387-411, 2018.
Raharjo, Pamuji Gesang, Dedi Budiman Hakim, Adler Hayman Manurung and Tubagus Maulana. “The Determinant of Commercial Banks’ Interest Margin in Indonesia: An Analysis of Fixed Effect Panel Regression”. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 295-308, 2014.
Riyadi, Slamet. Banking Assets and Liability Management. Jakarta: Lembaga Penerbit Fakultas Ekonomi Universitas Indonesia, 2006.
Salvatore, Dominick. Ekonomi Manajerial Buku 1. Jakarta: Salemba Empat, 2011.
Sutawijaya, Adrian and Etty Puji Lestari. “Efisiensi Teknik Perbankan Indonesia Pascakrisis Ekonomi: Sebuah Studi Empiris Penerapan Model DEA”. Jurnal Ekonomi Pembangunan, vol. 10, no.1, pp. 49-67, Jun. 2009.
The World Bank. “Data Bank, Global Financial Development”. Internet: http://databank.worldbank.org/data/source/global-financial-development, [Jul. 1, 2018].
Wijayanto. “Ekonomi Tersandera Bunga Tinggi, Pemerintah Indonesia akan Akhiri Oligopoli Perbankan”. Internet: https://www.pressreader.com/indonesia/jawa-pos/20160209/281496455327285, Feb. 9, 2016 [Oct. 21, 2018].
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.